Search Alisa Homewood Photography

Sunday, September 26, 2010

Mint Hill Madness

Yesterday the small (but ever growing) town of Mint Hill, NC (that I am happy to call my "hometown") held it's 28th annual "Mint Hill Madness" festival. Growing up in Mint Hill, which was a small town when I was a little girl, this was always one of the most exciting times for me. One of the first festivals I remember was held behind town hall and what used to be the library/McEwen town center. It was moved to the park off 218 and held there for several years, but this year it was BACK in downtown! It's such an awesome experience to bring my son to something I remember attending.. I can only pray that over the years he will cherish his childhood memories as I do.

Here are a few (ok, maybe like 50..) pictures of my family, the parade and just random people that caught my eye from Mint Hill Madness 2010..

These flags lined Hwy 51 through downtown Mint Hill, the parade route.
They were beautiful, flapping in the wind.

He was so excited for the parade to start he wouldn't be still! The image blurred, but I love the fact you can see him giggling, so I experimented with a diffused glow in photoshop and came up with this picture.

 Finally a smile AT the camera!

trying to make goggles with his hands.

Paxton & Aunt Manda

Parade is about to start.. fire trucks are coming!

This one and the one below are almost the same.. just color and monotone.
Fire trucks were LOUD for the little ones!

Mint Hill Volunteer Fire Dept Ladder Truck

Aunt Manda helping cover his ears so he could wave with one hand, ha!

Chubby little hands!


Throwing candy out just like the 'good old days'!

I love the people in the background in this picture.. the lady on the right is clapping and the guy on the left (in front of the windshield) is waving.. glad to see people showing respect!

True heros.


Remember the Oasis Shriners who used to drive the go-carts around in formation?
These guys did a little bit of their lawn mowers.. too funny!

Waving at various people and characters!

The little boy of the left was riding a wooden bike!
The little boy on the right was standing next to us and saw his preschool teacher in the parade..
he ran out to give her a hug with no hesitation.. so sweet!

Both Paxton & Amanda steered clear of the clown.

OINK!
These guys were all in the parade with their church..
I love their bible verse signs!

P-A....  P-A-T-R.. (whoo whoo).. P-A-T-R-I-O-T-S.... PATRIOTS, WHOOO!
I'm a proud Independence grad (2002)!

Love the expression the little boy has in this photo!

Sea Monkeys.. haha! LOVE it!

A group of dancers (diffused glow effect)
Army ROTC from Butler HS
MH Times Newspaper

Bag Pipers
Being part Scottish (maiden name Wallace), I LOVED this part of the parade...



Civil War Renactors

Girl Scout Troop
Mint Hill Cheerleaders

A goat at the end of the parade.. he found candy on the street!
In the bottom photo he is chewing it!

Parade is over.. what do we do?
Hunt down the Chick Fil A COW!!

All in all it was a wonderful day. Many arts & crafts vendors, games, food, drinks and entertainment.
Even though technically I'm from Charlotte, I feel so blessed to have grown up on the outskirts in a small community. To have gone to a local school. To still be able to go to the same festival as I did in my childhood, with my own child.. and see people I grew up with there with their children.

Probably one of the reasons I love where I live now. Indian Trail is small too.. growing as all small towns do.. but still small. I hope to create the same memories and connection here for Paxton as I have to Mint Hill.

Happy Fall everyone!

No comments:

Post a Comment